Being in nature reduces stress, increases pleasant feelings and well- it’s just good for the soul. So if you’d like to spend some time in the great outdoors around Mobile or dig your toes in the white sandy beach for Mother’s Day weekend, here are some ideas!
Exploring the outdoors in Lower Alabama:
Nearby day adventures
- If you’re looking for a state park adventure near Mobile, head to Blakely State Park in Spanish Fort. This state park encompasses over 2,100 acres of diverse land and wildlife. With 10 miles of designated bike trails, horseback riding, more than 20 miles of hiking trails, kayaking, and more, there is plenty to choose from for you day adventure. If you find yourself over planning, Blakeley State Park also offers camping sites and cabin rentals if you want to make a weekend out of it! There are many scenic lookouts to catch a stunning sunset, too!
- Take Mom to a hidden Alabama gem. Down in Gulf Shores, AL you will find a real treasure and something different to explore if you do not want to spend the whole day on the beach. Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge is a 7,157-acre National Wildlife Refuge with a beautiful environment and “safe harbor” for birds, endangered wildlife, and plant life. There are 4 main hiking trails in the refuge so you can choose how long you want to spend at the refuge. There is also a kayak launch if Mom wants to kayak or paddleboard. Note that your pets must stay at home for this adventure!
- Another nearby day adventure is Chicksasabogue Park located in Eight Mile, AL. With 1,100-acres and about 17 miles of hiking and biking trails, this park will keep you trekking all day long. There is a wide variety of outdoor activities including disc golf, fishing, swimming, and camping! So if you want to go on a family hike + swim nearby Mobile- this is just the place to go!
*Mother’s Day gift pairing: Aftco Women’s Ladyfish Shorts will take her from the trails to the water, and out for a local bite afterwards. Made from durable Nylon with UPF 50 sun protection and quick-drying DWR, these shorts are made for it all.
Overnight + weekend excursions
- Gulf State Park is a great weekend getaway for all to enjoy. Located in Gulf Shores, AL this state park boasts 6,500 acres comprised of white sandy beaches, butterfly gardens, lakes, and miles of hiking and biking trails. How many state parks can tell you it has hiking trails in the outdoors AND the beach? With primitive camping, campgrounds, and cabins, you can pick the perfect weekend getaway. Do not miss out on Hugh S. Branyon Backcountry Trail which has 7 different trails systems and 6 different ecosystems! Better yet- when the day is done you can watch the sunset on the beach or dock.
- Is Mom more of a relax and read while sinking her toes in the white sandy beach type of mom? If so, then treat her to a beach getaway to Gulf Shores Beach or Orange Beach. With plenty of nearby attractions including Gulf State Park and Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge, the family will not be bored. Either camp at the state park or rent a VRBO to relax and soak in the sun.
*Mother’s Day gift pairing: Birkenstock Women’s EVA Arizona Sandals are made for adventures and will be her go-to all season long. Made from a high-quality, odor-neutral EVA foam, these sandals are easy to clean, lightweight enough to float, and the perfect slip-on for the beach or the campsite.
Interested in a weekend of urban outings in Mobile this Mother’s Day? We have what to do + where to eat in Mobile. Check out our ideas here.
How about the best of both worlds? These ideas will get you enjoying nature while in the city limits of Mobile + give you time for more activities. Check out our ideas here.
Get Mom something she will love to go with your fun-filled weekend or to show her you care from far away! Click here for the Top Gifts this Mother’s Day. We want everyone to enjoy the outdoors, and we work to build loyalty one connection at a time.